Minimum Qualifications For Deputy Sheriff in TEXAS
All public safety officer positions have minimum requirements established by Texas law and the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE).
- must be a citizen of the United States
- must be at least 18 years of age
- must be fingerprinted and subject to a background check to disclose any criminal records
- may not have been convicted of a crime for which he or she could have been imprisoned in a federal or state penitentiary
- must be of good moral character, as determined by a thorough background investigation
- must be a high school graduate or have passed the general education development test and have been issued an equivalency certificate by the superintendent of public instruction, an appropriate issuing agency, another state or the federal government
- must meet any additional qualifications established by TCOLE
In addition, Texas law requires that individuals seeking employment as deputy sheriffs have a medical exam conducted by a licensed physician appointed by the employing agency.
Graduation from an accredited police academy and possession of TCOLE certification. To apply click on the link below.
Employment opportunities (tom-green.tx.us)
We are currently accepting applications for full time Sheriff Deputy and Reserve Deputy positions.