Requirements for 68-A Inspections
- All vehicles / trailers MUST be “road ready”.
- Inspections will not be conducted on partially assembled vehicles/trailers.
- Current Photo Identification.
- Any Out of State Documents, Titles, Bill of Sale, or other documents you have for the vehicle / trailer.
- If the vehicle / trailer was a gift or inheritance, please bring related documentation.
- The vehicle / trailer MUST be at the inspection location of 222 W. Harris, San Angelo, Texas.
- ALL TRAILERS are REQUIRE to have CERTIFIED empty weight slip PRIOR to an inspection.
- HOMEMADE trailers REQUIRED documentation showing how the trailer was built and where the materials came from, to include by not limited to material receipts, photographs of the build, or any documentation you have in order to substantiate the manufacturing of or ownership of the homemade trailer.
Form whom the Tom Green County Sheriff’s Office does 68-A Inspections for
- Residents of Tom Green County
- Active Duty Military
- Residents of the Concho Valley, which includes the following counties: Coke, Concho, Crockett, Irion, Kimble, Mason, McCulloch, Menard, Reagan, Schleicher, Sterling, and Sutton.
- Companies or Corporations that have a home office in the above-mentioned counties.
- If you reside or the company home office is in any other county than listed above, you will need to contact the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles to ask about where inspections are conducted for your area.
- Proof of Residency will be required prior to inspection.
- Proof of Company Home Office Location will be required prior to inspection.
When and where
- 2nd and 4th Thursday of the month – excluding county holidays
- At the Tom Green County Sheriff’s Office (222 W. Harris, San Angelo, Texas 76903)– You may be asked to change locations if further inspection of the vehicle / trailer is required.
- Inspections are subject to weather and personnel availability. You are encouraged to contact the Sheriff’s Office on the day of the inspection to ensure that inspections are being conducted.
- Contact number is 325-655-8111
- Company or Corporations that are requiring a large number of inspections need to call for more information.
The 68-A Inspection is a VIN Verification Inspection and not a Safety Inspection. The Tom Green County Sheriff’s Office does not complete Safety Inspections on vehicles or trailers. 68-A Inspections are completed at no cost to citizens needing inspections completed on personal vehicles / trailers.
Texas Transportation Code 501.158
***Any stolen vehicle / trailer and/or vehicle / trailer found to have the original manufacturer’s identification number to have been removed, changed, or obliterated is subject to be seized***
VTR 68-A Procedure REV 9/18
A GUIDE FOR
Preventing Elder Abuse, Assault and Theft